5 elements in aikido
- Water: Pre birth, Winter, Cold, Stillness, Wisdom, Potency, Unknowing, Fear, The buried seed
- Wood: Birth to late teens, Spring, Wind, Rising up, Assertive, Making and Carrying out a Plan, Anger, Entering in, The rising of the vine
- Fire: Late teens to Middle age, Summer, Heat, Partnership, Joy, the Height of movement, setting up the technique, Blending, Blossoming of the fruit
- Earth: Middle age to senior, Late Summer, Damp, Descending, Thoughtfulness, The application of technique, Ripening of the fruit
- Metal: Senior to death, Autumn, Dry, Acknowledgement and letting go, The finish, The Harvest.